Last updated: 4 March 2019.
Capitalized terms used in this Privacy Notice (the "Notice") but not defined in this Notice shall have the respective meanings ascribed to such terms respectively in the User terms of service.
1. About this Notice
1.1 This Notice explains how we (as defined below) collect, share and use any information that, alone or in combination with other information, directly or indirectly identifies or relates to you ("Personal Data") when you ("you" and "your") use our online platform available on our website https://www.bestbrands.be ("Website").
1.2 This Notice also sets out the rights that you have in relation to the Personal Data that we process about you and how you can exercise them.
1.3 Serviceplan treats compliance with its privacy obligations seriously. This is why we have developed this Notice, which describes the standards that Serviceplan applies to protect your Personal Data. Please note however that we cannot control over how other Users may use your Personal Data if you choose to disclose any Personal Data to them. We will not accept any liability in this respect, and we recommend you to be careful when disclosing any Personal Data to other Users.
1.4 For the purposes of this Notice, Serviceplan Belgium SA/NV with registered office at Bovenberg 124, 1150 Brussels, and registered with the Crossroads Bank of Enterprises (RPM Brussels) under number 0416.888.281 and with VAT BE0416.888.281 ("Serviceplan ", "us", "we", or "our") acts as the data controller for the Personal Data that is collected via the Website. As a data controller, Serviceplan is responsible for ensuring that the processing of Personal Data complies with applicable data protection law, and specifically with the General Data Protection Regulation.
1.5 Please take the time to read this Notice carefully. If you have any questions or comments, please contact email@example.com.
2. When do we collect Personal Data?
2.1 In general, we collect your Personal Data when you use any of the features made available on our Website. Our Website is primarily intended to allow Users to discover all about Best Brands and the results of the survey conducted by GfK.
2.2 When sending a message, we will invite you to provide us with certain Personal Data. At the time of communication, we will expressly indicate if you are obliged to provide certain Personal Data in order to gain access to certain services available on the Website. Please note that if you do not wish to provide us with such compulsory Personal Data, you will not be able to use the services provided on our Website. Other Personal Data that are not compulsory can be provided by you voluntarily and are optional. If you do not wish to communicate such optional Personal Data, this will not affect your possibility to use the services of our Website.
3. What Personal Data does Serviceplan collect and why?
3.1 The types of Personal Data that we may collect about you, and the reasons why we process it, include:
|Categories of data subjects||Why we collect it||Types of Personal Data||Legal basis|
|Contact||Contacting you on your request about an inquiry you have submitted.||E-mail address.||Your consent.|
3.2 We may also collect certain information automatically from your device. Specifically, the information we collect automatically may include information like your IP address, device type, unique device identification numbers, browser-type, broad geographic location (e.g. country or city-level location) and other technical information. We may also collect information about how your device has interacted with our Website, including the pages accessed and links clicked.
Collecting this information enables us to better understand the visitors who come to our Website, where they come from, and what content on our Website is of interest to them. We use this information for our internal analytics purposes and to improve the quality and relevance of our Website to our visitors.
Some of this information may be collected using cookies and similar tracking technology, as explained further in our Cookie Notice.
3.3 In general, we will use the Personal Data we collect from you only for the purposes described in this Notice or for purposes that we explain to you at the time we collect your Personal Data. However, we may also use your Personal Data for other purposes that are not incompatible with the purposes we have disclosed to you (such as archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research purposes, or statistical purposes) if and where this is permitted by applicable data protection laws.
4. Who does Serviceplan share your Personal Data with?
4.1 We may disclose your Personal Data to the following categories of recipients:
- to our group companies for purposes consistent with this Notice. We take precautions to allow access to Personal Data only to those staff members who have a legitimate business need for access and with a contractual prohibition of using the Personal Data for any other purpose;
- to other Users to allow them to contact you on the Platform;
- to our third-party vendors, services providers and partners who provide data processing services to us, or who otherwise process Personal Data for purposes that are described in this Notice or notified to you when we collect your Personal Data. This may include disclosures to third party vendors and other service providers we use in connection with the services they provide to us, including to support us in areas such as IT platform management or support services, infrastructure and application services, marketing, data analytics;
- to our business partners who promote their services or products on our Website ("Business Partners"). We cannot be held liable for the use of your Personal Data by such Business Partners, which will be governed by the privacy policies of such Business Partners. Please carefully read these privacy policies and contact our Business Partner if you have any question with regard to such processing of your Personal Data;
- to any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person;
- to our auditors, advisors, legal representatives and similar agents in connection with the advisory services they provide to us for legitimate business purposes and under contractual prohibition of using the Personal Data for any other purpose;
- to a potential buyer (and its agents and advisers) in connection with any proposed purchase, merger or acquisition of any part of our business, provided that we inform the buyer it must use your Personal Data only for the purposes disclosed in this Notice;
- to any other person, if you have provided your prior consent to the disclosure.
5. How we protect your privacy
5.1 We will process Personal Data in accordance with this Notice, as follows:
- Fairness: We will process Personal Data fairly. This means that we are transparent about how we process Personal Data and that we will process it in accordance with applicable law.
- Purpose limitation: We will process Personal Data for specified and lawful purposes and will not process it in a manner that is incompatible with those purposes.
- Proportionality: We will process Personal Data in a way that is proportionate to the purposes which the processing is intended to achieve.
- Data accuracy: We take appropriate measures to ensure that the Personal Data that we hold about you is accurate, complete and, where necessary, kept up to date. However, it is also your responsibility to ensure that your Personal Data is kept as accurate, complete and current as possible by informing us promptly of any changes or errors.
- Data security: We use appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect the Personal Data that we collect and process about you. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your Personal Data. Specific measures we use include separating Personal Data and Platform information in separated secured and encrypted cloud databases.
- Data processors: We may engage third parties to process Personal Data for and on behalf of Serviceplan. We require such data processors to process Personal Data and act strictly on our instructions and to take appropriate steps to ensure that Personal Data remains protected.
- International data transfers: Your Personal Data may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you are resident. These countries may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country (and, in some cases, may not be as protective).
Specifically, our servers are in Germany (Frankfurt), and our group companies and third-party service providers and partners operate around the world. This means that when we collect your Personal Data, we may process it in any of these countries. However, we have taken appropriate safeguards to require that your Personal Data will remain protected in accordance with this Notice. We can provide you with more information in this respect upon request.
- Data Retention: We retain Personal Data we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your Personal Data, we will either delete or anonymise it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your Personal Data has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your Personal Data and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
6. Your data protection rights
6.1 You have the following data protection rights:
- if you wish to access, correct, update or request deletion of their Personal Data, can do so at any time by updating your Account or deleting their Account as explained in the Serviceplan User Terms of Service available on https://bestbrands.be/en/terms-of-use. Please note that you cannot remove any ratings that you have received from other Users on the Website.
- In addition, in certain circumstances, as stipulated in the applicable data protection legislation, you can object to processing of your Personal Data, ask us to restrict processing of your Personal Data or request portability of your Personal Data. You can exercise these rights by contacting us using the following contact details: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If we have collected and process your Personal Data with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your Personal Data conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent. If you no longer want to have your Personal Data shared with our Business Partners, you can let us know by contacting us using the following contact details: email@example.com.
- You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” link in the marketing e-mails we send you.
- If you have a complaint or concern about how we are processing your Personal Data, then we will endeavour to address such concern(s). If you feel we have not sufficiently addressed your complaint or concern, you have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your Personal Data. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. (Contact details for data protection authorities in the European Economic Area, Switzerland and certain non-European countries (including the US and Canada) are available here.)
6.2 We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
7. Linking to other websites
7.1 The Website may contain hyperlinks to websites owned and operated by third parties. These websites have their own privacy policies and we urge you to review them. They will govern the use of Personal Data you submit whilst visiting these websites.
We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the privacy practices of such third-party websites and your use of such websites is at your own risk.
8. Updates to this Notice
8.1 We may update this Notice from time to time in response to changing legal, technical or business developments. When we update our Notice, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make. We will obtain your consent to any material Notice changes if and where this is required by applicable data protection laws.
8.2 You can see when this Notice was last updated by checking the “last updated” date displayed at the top of this Notice.